1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2001 Tundra AC Limited 4WD: did my timing belt jump?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by kulldox, Apr 27, 2024.

1. Apr 27, 2024 at 8:06 PM
    kulldox

kulldox [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bellevue WA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Black Tundra AC Limited 4WD TRD
    Hi,

I'm a newbie with truks in general and with Tundra specifically.
    I'm a decent DIYer, so I thought it would be fun to have some project car. So when I saw a 2001 Tundra AC Limited 4WD with 280k miles on the marketplace, I went and got it.

It is in crank no run condition. So I had to tow it. Cosmetically it has some bangs here and there, but I'm ok. I can fix that. :)

So, for the past few days I'm trying to start it up. Here is what I did so far.

1. Checked all the fuses and relays. All good. Changed the fuel pump relay just in case. The original one was a little bit mangled.
    2. Cleaned the MAF and Throttle.
    3. There are no error codes, no matter what I do. The RPMs on the board tach is no jumping during crank, but on the OBDII scaner it does increase to over 100.
    4. Checked all the ignition coils. All but one seem to be ok, they got power and ground. One of them has some cracks but I think it should be good enough just for starting. I'll definitely replace them later. I couldn't check for spark yet.
    5. Now, after googling, reading forum posts and youtube I came to the conclusion that it may be the timing belt. Checked that today and yes, it seems to be it. There are not weird sounds during crank, so I hope pistons, valves are ok. Probably will pull out the spark plugs and go in with a borescope to check later.

What do you guys think? Should I just do the timing belt replament and alignment not matter what at this point?

2. Apr 27, 2024 at 10:22 PM
    Pnwtundy

Pnwtundy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 DC SR5 TRD, V8/4WD + LSD/Tow
    As far as diagnosing your issue i think there are people better than myself that can help, but on the question of doing a timing belt job with a truck with 280k and an unknown history (or even WITH a history) I would 1000% do it and advise it.

FirstGenVol and kulldox[OP] like this.
  3. Apr 28, 2024 at 6:38 AM
    ATBAV8

ATBAV8 New Member

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 V8 SR5, Access Cab, 4x4, White
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/so-you-wanna-buy-just-bought-a-1st-gen-tundra-eh.115928/
    You need to read this, in it's entirety. You'll find answers to a lot of your questions. As far as your current problem, it does appear that the timing is off. Not knowing the history of the truck, I would recommend replacing the timing belt, water pump and especially the timing belt tensioner because there is a suspected timing belt slip. Use the Aisin kit. It's available on Rock Auto and Summit Racing for around $200. Again, read the attached thread thoroughly! There's years of practical experience and knowledge in there.

kulldox[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  4. Apr 28, 2024 at 6:44 AM
    weadjust

weadjust New Member

Member:
    Tupelo, MS
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra Limited DC
    Go to the auto parts store and get a free loaner compression tester. Check all cylinders and see where what that test reveals before spending money on parts that may or may not fix your problem. Post your compression #s for each cylinder.

5. Apr 28, 2024 at 7:20 AM
    shifty`

shifty` My piss and moans are the fuel

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    All the above advice is great. Get the timing right, and be happy you don't have the '05-'06 VVTi engine.

Verify the timing belt is in good shape, first and foremost. Then look into the timing.

Once timing is correct, confirm the cam position wiring is intact, and the crank position sensor wiring is intact (and no nicks on the harnesses, and crank position sensor wiring is routed properly) BEFORE you button things up. Verify both of the coolant temp sensors (on the passenger side of the throttle body, one green, one grey or black) are intact, not broken. Check every fuse in the truck, including the fuses in the engine bay. I'd also check - and this info is in the thread @ATBAV8 posted - confirm there's been no water intrusion into the ECM and in-dash fuse panel. You'll see pics of examples of both cases linked from that thread in the "electrical issues" section of the 1st or 2nd reply.

EDIT: While a compression test is a good idea, don't be dissuaded if one cylinder is low or no. One guy who was posting on here found no compression on one cylinder, replaced the engine and couldn't get it running, only to tear into the "bad" engine and find a valve was stuck. Perfectly good running engine with a stuck valve got pulled, and we still to this day have no idea if he ever got it running with the new engine!

If it still won't fire, confirm you have fuel pressure. This video may help, but has a bit of misinformation in that the fuel pump (at least per the last time I checked FSM) isn't sending fuel unless the key is in the START position (not just "ON") or the crank position sensor is telling the ECM the engine is running which - again - is why that harness needs to be damage free.

(PS - only replace with DENSO brand fuel pump if you think it's the pump)

kulldox[OP] and ATBAV8 like this.
  6. Apr 28, 2024 at 7:18 PM
    kulldox

kulldox [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bellevue WA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys. I will definitely do the timing belt job with the suggested Aisin kit. Fist I need to see if there is already any internal damage to the engine, like bent valves or destroyed pistons. I hope not, cause if there was, I would've hear clanking, rattle, bang noises during the cranking.

Yes, the golden https://www.tundras.com/threads/so-you-wanna-buy-just-bought-a-1st-gen-tundra-eh.115928/ :) I did read and I will read it again and again. I used it actually to make the decisionn to buy. Especially regarding rust, ball joins, etc.
    This truck is solid in the body category. I don't see any rust that may be of concern. The only thing realy rusted is the exhaust, which I will definitely replace.

I saw this guy video with pump replacement. There is definitely no rodent damage. Also the previous owner told me that the pump was replaced (not that I trust him 100% :)). I will consider changing the fuel filter for sure.

I did try to look and look for any damaged wiring or loose/rotten grounds or anything like that, but couldn't find any.

Sunnier likes this.
  7. May 3, 2024 at 10:10 PM
    kulldox

kulldox [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bellevue WA
    Vehicle:
    Update. Wohooo!

I have temporary corrected the timing using the idea from this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGZOXrIq2Q8
    It worked perfectly. The truck started right up. It basically was off by 4 teeth.

I will definitely now go on and order the timing belt kit, ignition coils, spark plugs, radiator, LBJs and what not and will fix it properly.
    At least for now I can move it into my backyard and fix it :) Sure will not be running it for long like this.

FishNinja, Pnwtundy, shifty` and 5 others like this.
  8. May 4, 2024 at 6:16 AM
    JasonC.

JasonC. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 4.7L “Best Cab”/AC Limited 44k mi
    Wow. //puts those bits in junkyard toolbox//

9. May 4, 2024 at 7:20 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Nice! Dropping this into the timing belt thread for easy reference. Glad you got it running easy. Hopefully you got an awesome deal on the truck and the frame looks good.

10. May 6, 2024 at 4:11 PM
    kulldox

kulldox [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bellevue WA
    Vehicle:
    BTW, I used a drill bit holder so that someone would hold it while I turn the crank shaft so it doesn't fall into the timing belt enclosure :)
    [​IMG]

FishNinja and shifty` like this.
  11. May 6, 2024 at 7:09 PM
    FishNinja

FishNinja Hide Your Daughters

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    06 DoubleCab SR5 V8 2WheelPeel
    51hundies & 2885's

Holy shit I wish I found this vid when my belt jumped when I finished my timing belt / water pump. I had a mild panic attack then just took everything apart and redid it. This would of saved me an extra hour or 2

12. May 15, 2024 at 9:53 AM
    kulldox

kulldox [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bellevue WA
    Vehicle:
    BTW, I know why the timing belt jumped.

I'm basically 50% through the timing belt job now. Removed all the old parts and prepared for install.

It was a rodent nest or something in between the upper and lower intake manifold. The critter basically fel into the timing belt and were crushed. So I guess when this happend, the timing belt jumped. I'll post some pictures from my phone later.

Probably a lesson to be learned is to check for nests in that cavity.

I did vacuum it the best I could. Not going to take it apart now.

Pnwtundy likes this.
  13. May 15, 2024 at 10:02 AM
    Pnwtundy

Pnwtundy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    As for the rodent, you could say, his time has come.

The Black Mamba likes this.
  14. May 15, 2024 at 10:30 AM
    kulldox

kulldox [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bellevue WA
    Vehicle:
    BTW, part of the reason he got in there can also be that the "triangle" shape plastic cover thing is missing. Seems like the last time this job was done, the guy did not put it in. Now I need to find it. Anybody knows the part number for that, and where can I find it? I looked on the Rock Auto website, and can't find it.
    upload_2024-5-15_10-30-0.png

15. May 15, 2024 at 10:45 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    It's open from the sides of the intake manifold also on the earlier models with silver intake, there's ample evidence of rodents nesting under the manifold in all years.

From what another member found, apparently on some other vehicles using the 2UZ-FE, unsure whether it's VVTi or non-VVTi though, there are a few with foam blocks or something to cover the holes; our trucks didn't have those. I want to say the Land Cruisers might.

But yeah, don't have a part number for you on that. I couldn't find it in parts for my '06 when digging through multiple diagrams.

16. May 15, 2024 at 10:48 AM
    kulldox

kulldox [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bellevue WA
    Vehicle:
    Ok, thanks. I'll try to maybe cut some piece of plastic myself then. Trying to keep searching online too.

17. May 15, 2024 at 11:14 AM
    Pnwtundy

Pnwtundy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yeah dang, I really can't find anything either, might be best found in a junkyard

18. May 15, 2024 at 11:49 AM
    kulldox

kulldox [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bellevue WA
    Vehicle:
  19. May 15, 2024 at 11:57 AM
    Pnwtundy

Pnwtundy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  20. May 15, 2024 at 12:07 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
  21. May 15, 2024 at 1:09 PM
    kulldox

kulldox [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bellevue WA
    Vehicle:
    True. I saw those side holes. I've seen remnants of the critter there and some gunk.

20240513_195332.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top