1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front light bar - it exactly related

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by jhersey29, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Apr 25, 2024 at 7:19 PM
    jhersey29

jhersey29 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Well I bought a DPI Off-Road Scorpion Lightbar P000020. I wanted a front winch bumper and order their front winch bumper which was only slightly welded a little crooked and about 1/4 inch wider than it should be. I’m not very happy with the company. Honestly I wouldn’t buy a thing from any one of their subsidiaries. I’m pretty sure they are going out of business based on the extreme lack of customer service. I’ve tried 5 ways to get the wiring for manual for the light bar. It has 3 wires. Red, Black and Blue. The red and black seem to turn the light on when I connect to a small 12 volt battery but I have no idea what the blue wire is for. Anyone know what the blue wire is for? The light was recommended as a match with the bumper but it actually sits too far back to be of use but regardless I’d like to wire it up. One very disappointing purchase.

2. Apr 25, 2024 at 8:13 PM
    Chad D.

Chad D. New Member

Member:
    Western Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 CrewMax Platinum
    Pretty rough way to introduce yourself to the community, but I’m sorry you’re having a hard time with your new parts.

Unfortunately, you’re going to find a wide range of parts, with quality and pricing that typically matches. Don’t take this wrong; you bought a super cheap bumper. It’s not going to have perfect, well, anything. I’m not making excuses for this, just saying what I’ve seen so many times.

If you want a fast, easy install, it ain’t cheap. If you want a cheap part, the install ain’t gonna be fast or easy. Just the nature of the beast…

The light wiring can’t be too rough. It’s three wires. Let’s assume that the red is +12V and the black is ground. The blue does something else. I’ve got two different light bars with a third wire, and they do different things. On one, I would apply +12V to the extra wire to turn on some backlighting. On the other, I ground the extra wire to dim the bar to 75% brightness.

Since you don’t know what the extra wire does, I’d ground it first to see if anything happens. Then, try a quick +12V supply and see. Might be a backlight option.

Post up some photos that show the fitment trouble with the bumper, as well as the light bar mounts with how they fit the bumper.

blenton likes this.
  3. Apr 26, 2024 at 6:50 AM
    jhersey29

Member:
    Thanks! I tried those recommendations yesterday during the day. The red and black do as expected with normal red positive and black negative and turn on the light. The blue didn’t appear to do anything when connected to ground or positive. I use a fused connection to safe guard what I could. I’ll have to try this process at night with a helper. Maybe the dim happened and I just couldn’t tell.

The front bumper was not cheap. It’s USA made and similarly priced to all of the winch bumpers that are the same style with that being just the center lower section of the bumper.

Really tired of bad service these days and companies with bad service and management decisions should be avoided. Sorry if you don’t like the call out but people need to know how bad they are. They don’t answer the phone, have a full voicemail box, don’t reply to emails or messages posted on their contact us form. Their local store said they would get back to me on a switch that would work with the light at and some information and they didn’t follow through. The light bar was advertised to come with a switch and it didn’t. Yes it’s inexpensive but that doesn’t mean it’s a cheap. There is a big difference. It appears to be a well built light bar just zero company support and missing the switch. The missing switch didn’t bother me so much as I want to put in the dash switch that matches my truck.

4. Apr 26, 2024 at 1:31 PM
    jhersey29

Member:
    I called them again today and got through to Jordan. They are currently unable to return email or voicemail so you just have to keep calling until you get a time when he isn't on the phone. As I understand it there is one customer service rep for 9 brands. He is a nice guy but the company is really being run by someone who doesn't care about customer service. At a minimum if you aren't going to take questions have a decent forum to support your products. A forum nearly runs itself. Also post your manuals on your website and save everyone time working with 1 customer service rep. I wish he could have helped but was unable to. He transferred me to a person by the name of Don. Don has not returned my voicemail but it's only been 4 hours. With my son's help I was able to figure out the wires. Red(spot positive) turns on the main part of the bar. Blue(drive positive) turns on a set of low lights that are on the top or bottom of the light depending on which way you mount it. I'm not sure what these lights are as the product is described as a Single Row Light Bar - Spot/Drive Combo. To me that says 1 row of lights that work for spot and drive. It has 2 rows of led lights. I am guessing the blue wire is drive as these lights are very dim. I guess the spot is the red light since they are bright. The listing says "to make install even more convenient and pain-free, we include a full wiring harness and switch". It does not come with either a switch or a harness.

Products Discussed in

To Top