1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission slipping low speed

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Paddie01, May 16, 2020.

1. May 16, 2020 at 10:16 PM
    Paddie01

Paddie01 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tundra 2wd
    I have a 2012 Toyota Tundra 2wd. Once I take off from a stop, if I let out of gas after take off at slow speed & then get back in the gas, the transmission slips. I only notice it at slower speed. I had the transmission serviced & the problem still exist. Any help would be appreciated.

2. May 17, 2020 at 4:51 AM
    Ericsopa

Ericsopa Old man and the sea

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    N of Rio Grande, S of Red, E of Pecos, W of Sabine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra CrewMax TRD Ltd Super Duper White OVtuned
    You're going to have to be more definitive about what you're experiencing, about what you mean by "slipping." For instance, does it seem to slip, then firm up again? What is "slower speed"..... 30, 40, 50? 10? Transmission serviced how? for what reason? I ask because if you're referring to the engine, after reapplying the gas, going to a 2-300 higher RPM than it was when you let up on the gas, then it almost immediately goes back to the "correct" RPM and feels like it's more solidly coupled to the driveline, then that's just normal unlocking of the torque converter that occurs when you let off the gas, and the relock a second or two after accelerating again. And there's nothing wrong. There are also minimum speeds at which the transmission will shift to the next gear under very light throttle, around which the transmision might "hunt" for the right gear when you're cruising around that speed. If it's something else, then try describing it a little better.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  3. May 17, 2020 at 5:44 AM
    Paddie01

Paddie01 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tundra 2wd
    Thanks for the response. It happens in first and second gear speeds, with normal acceleration. It does it when I’m on level ground or going down a slight grade. If I’m going up a hill it won’t do it. I had the transmission serviced because I had to have the torque converter replaced due to a rumble in the transmission around 40 mph. That fixed that problem.

4. May 17, 2020 at 6:21 AM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia
    LED headlamps/fogs; interior footlamps.

Are you really sure its not just 'hunting' for the correct gear to use? With 6 speeds, there are 2 rather 'low' ones to choose from - hence the 'slip' you feel as it chooses. If really slipping it would happen from the start in any gear.

5. May 17, 2020 at 6:32 AM
    Ericsopa

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    Okay, well, I'm not trying to nit-pick here, honest. But your description is still vague and your perceptions are subjective. One person's "normal" is usually different from another's. But from what I can tell from what you describe, I see nothing wrong. Level ground and downhill "normal acceleration" is going to be under very light load. Under those conditions, transmission can hunt, torque converter can lock/unlock/lock/unlock. Accelerating uphill, is necessarily a more loaded condition, and the shifts will be more positive.

In your first post, you describe this as happening when you let up on the gas then reapply. Why are you doing that in the first place?

Wynnded likes this.
  6. May 17, 2020 at 6:41 AM
    Paddie01

Paddie01 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tundra 2wd
    For instants, in a bumper-to-bumper situation on the interstate. Where traffic has slowed to a crawl. If I’m on level ground or going downhill at say 5 mph it will do it as I’m keeping Up pace. It definitely feels more like A slip instead of trying to find a gear.

7. May 17, 2020 at 6:51 AM
    Ericsopa

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    Well, I don't know....sounds pretty normal to me. I take it that it's different from what you experienced prior to having the TC replaced, and that's why you are concerned. But diagnosing is difficult without actually seeing/feeling what you describe. "Cruising" at 5mph is going to seem to cause strange behavior anyway. Sorry I can't be of more help.

8. May 17, 2020 at 7:01 AM
    Paddie01

Paddie01 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tundra 2wd
    No, thanks for your help. Just thought I would put it out there and see what kind of response I got.

9. May 17, 2020 at 7:11 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I think I understand what may be happening here, as it comes up every once in a while. What it feels like to me in my truck is that the transmission shift logic may be programed to anticipate a more enthusiastic acceleration and has selected a more aggressive (i.e. lower) ratio allowing the engine RPM to be higher and giving the perception of slipping. This seems to happen to me more frequently when I'm in my neighborhood poking along at 20mph and I make a corner then get back on the throttle very lightly. I kind of have to "wait it out" for a moment to allow the vehicle to assess what's occurring and finally select the appropriate ratio. This really only takes a moment, but it's discernible.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    BigDaddy74 and Ericsopa like this.
  10. May 17, 2020 at 8:27 AM
    Paddie01

Paddie01 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tundra 2wd
    Thanks for y’all‘s response. It may just be me but it just feels like a slip, maybe not.

11. May 17, 2020 at 8:47 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    An alternative would be to connect software up to your truck that could show what the transmission ECU is doing while you're driving in aforementioned conditions. The transmission fluid level check procedure is rather convoluted, you could request that the location which you had service your truck recheck the level to eliminate that.

12. May 17, 2020 at 10:56 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    You don't say how long you've owned the truck or how many miles it has. If this behavior is a change from years of driving, then it's probably not normal...have the shop recheck the fluid level. Otherwise, it sounds pretty normal based on how mine behaves. When starting off with very light throttle, the shift from 1 to 2 sometimes seems to have to wait for the clutches to engage, during which time the engine rpm may increase until the shift actually occurs a second or two later. Someone might describe that as "slipping", but I think it's more like shift control indecision.

13. Apr 19, 2024 at 1:55 AM
    BigDaddy74

BigDaddy74 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Kaufman, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Green Tundra 4.6L Double Cab/Lifted, Pavement "Princess"...But she's pretty!!
    20" Rims...33" Tires...Nerf bars...Pro Comp Nitro 3 Inch Leveling/Lift Kit...still working
    THIS...the corner problem...happens to me too! But it pretty much has since I got the truck 5 years ago. Still freaks me out though...worried I'm going to have to replace the transmission soon. Very glad to hear someone else is experiencing this and it's "normal."

Products Discussed in

To Top