1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trust Oil Change Shops?

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by sixweeds, Apr 10, 2024.

1. Apr 10, 2024 at 3:46 PM
    sixweeds

sixweeds [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trace
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tundra GoldRush
    I used to change my own oil, but at 62, decided to start paying to have it done. While traveling cross-country from Florida to Washington and in Spring Branch, Texas, I had the oil changed at a Valvoline oil change shop. My '07 has 257k on her and very few issues. They guys said that the stock plastic oil change cap/covers are prone to shearing off the tabs when oil change guys (like these guys?) over tighten them. My was fine as I had them show it to me. They showed me a Toyota brand aluminum cap/cover. I said, "Sure, go ahead and replace the plastic one." They filled her up with 5w20 Mobil1 and a new filter and off I went. After 568 miles north to Wichita, when I pulled up to the toll booth to get a ticket and rolled down the window, I heard a tapping sound. Not quite as loud as I've heard other engines with a bad rod, but like valve tapping noise. I immediately pulled over. Looking under the truck, there was oil covering everything back to the back. My son said, "Oh yeah, Dad, I was wondering what that oil was on the Airstream and on the back of the truck yesterday." Thanks, son...

We removed the skid plate and there was oil all around the "new" aluminum filter cap/cover and housing. And no oil reading on the dipstick. I called Good Sam and they towed my truck to Wichita while my son's friend retrieved the Airstream. Tomorrow, we'll look again and see if we can see why it leaked and where exactly it leaked from. It wasn't over full after the oil change. I saw no oil lights come on the dash, and I don't want to start it until I investigate further, so I don't know if one came on and I just didn't see it with the sunlight glare coming through my driver's window or if it never came on. I had no warning that I can tell until I rolled down the window at the ticket booth. There was no tapping sound when we left this morning. So, we drove 126 miles with no tapping sound until I heard the noise.

I'm praying that no permanent engine damage was done and that we'll be able to rectify how/why it was leaking. Fill it with oil, and it will be fine. Worst case scenario, I damaged my engine and that's a whole other ballgame.

Anyone else had any issues with the aluminum oil filter cap? Any leaking from there? Any issues with having some yahoos change your oil and forget to tighten the drain plug or oil filter properly? Dang it, I was hoping to get another 743k out of my '07.

2. Apr 10, 2024 at 3:49 PM
    b6graham

b6graham New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo 1794 RW Wheels 315/70
  3. Apr 10, 2024 at 3:52 PM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    299.9k Supercharged 2008
    Didn't read big post.

Answer to title: NO.

4. Apr 10, 2024 at 3:53 PM
    JMGmanAZ

JMGmanAZ New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    2014 1794
  5. Apr 10, 2024 at 4:09 PM
    TILLY

TILLY Gently Used Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport D/C
    Could be a few things, but my guess is that they put the rubber O-ring on the wrong groove on the new aluminum cap.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
    OHwendTrd, mtucker and JMGmanAZ like this.
  6. Apr 10, 2024 at 4:40 PM
    JohnWhicker

JohnWhicker New Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    I could never trust one of those places man. They really have shit for brains. I barely trust the dealerships service shops and I always check their work.

7. Apr 12, 2024 at 4:19 PM
    TILLY

TILLY Gently Used Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport D/C
    Any update on what happened Trace?

8. Apr 12, 2024 at 6:20 PM
    PhotoNerd

PhotoNerd New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Waterford, CT
    Vehicle:
    2008 Salsa Red Tundra DC SR5 4x4
    Chrome delete, Sequioa grill, bed lights, LED + head, fog & tail lights, Dynamat throughout, front & rear cameras, Pheonix PX6 13" head unit, 8" subwoofer, JBL speaker upgrades, tonneau cover, custom shifter, steering wheel cover
    Those oil change places do make mistakes and sorry you were the victim of that. They do carry insurance to cover repairs caused by their mistakes, so you might reach out to Valvoline.

9. Apr 13, 2024 at 7:06 AM
    sixweeds

sixweeds [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trace
    Vehicle:
    Good comments. There was NO o-ring on the aluminum oil filter cap drain plug. The big one was in the right position. The under car tech didn't put one on that came with the new filter. Either he was too lazy, didn't care, or didn't know. I can't prove it was on purpose. I replaced the filter, o-rings, and filled it up with oil. Started it up, no engine noise. Let it warm up, rested it for 5 min, then rechecked oil and added a bit more. No leaks. Keeping my fingers crossed, but so far, it seems fine.

After careful consideration, I believe the tech under the vehicle must have known that the cap drain plug had no o-ring. It is really hard to believe that out of the box, the drain plug would be so tight it needed a crescent wrench on the oil filter cap to hold it and a ratchet and extension in the drain plug to break it loose. There is no way it could have come from the factory that tight. I believe the tech just thought, "No o-ring? Oh well, I'll just tighten it as tight as I can. If it leaks oil, he'll be several states away."

I lost almost 7 quarts. It cost $40 dollars and a whole day cleaning the oil from the front of the Airstream and back of my truck. The undercarriage is still covered, but driving in some rain should get most of it. I am so thankful I heard the tapping noise when I did. I could not reach the manager in Texas, so I shot an email to Valvoline Corporate and requested $207 for the service, $40 for cleaning, and $50 for my son's buddy who towed my trailer.

Lesson learned? After every oil change, check for leaks and oil level. I made the mistake of assuming. Never again. If my 17 year old, 257,000 mile, 5.7l, Double Cab, 4x4, Limited makes it back to Washington from Kansas this weekend with no issues, it is a testament to just how durable and overbuilt these engines/trucks are.

IMG_6963.jpg
    IMG_6212.jpg

10. Apr 13, 2024 at 7:26 AM
    Mr Badwrench

Mr Badwrench New Member

Member:
    Did you see any metal filings or chips on the filter? 7 quarts is almost 88% of the capacity. Hoping the best for you.

Oil change places hire children and idiots unfortunately. They are not going to get good help paying $13 per hour, then again, changing oil is not rocket science and doesn't warrant a six figure income. I guess the answer is DIY which is a pain in the ass on nearly all Toyota models.

PhotoNerd likes this.
  11. Apr 13, 2024 at 7:41 AM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    Send your next oil change sample for oil analysis. This is one of many stories of incompetence by today’s work force. I do my own stuff because you can’t trust others to give a crap about your stuff anymore. They just don’t.

12. Apr 13, 2024 at 7:56 AM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    Stay away from Quick Lube places and find a wrench twister that will allow you to be under the vehicle to do your underbody inspection. If they allow that they have nothing to hide. Tip the mechanic and he will remember you.

Toyotoholic and Leo's first like this.
  13. Apr 13, 2024 at 8:14 AM
    Gene_in_FL

Gene_in_FL SUPER genius

Member:
    FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 DC 5.7 2021 SR5 DC 5.7

THIS! THIS! THIS! IMMEDIATELY!!!

14. Apr 13, 2024 at 9:42 AM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    My big concern is the burden of proof in on you. If you were to catch their mistake before you left their property you would stand a very good chance of a settlement. Being a civil issue and not criminal you do have a better chance.

15. Apr 18, 2024 at 2:25 PM
    sixweeds

sixweeds [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trace
    Vehicle:
    Great feed back and suggestions. Thanks! And though the remaining 1.25 quarts of oil was black, I did not notice any metal filings or indications of metal in it.
    Today we made it home the 2,364 miles from Texas, up and over two 10,000'+ Rocky Mountain passes, and several more lower elevation passes to eastern Washington yesterday. Unbelievably, the Tundra performed flawlessly, I won't say I babied her, but I did keep the RPM's under 4,000 climbing the grades by not using the cruise control. A few times, this resulted in 45-50 mph, but I was not in a hurry. I checked the oil at every fuel stop, which was often as we encountered 30-40 mph headwinds across eastern CO, Utah, and southern Idaho. I used no oil, and it looks like new oil after nearly 2,500 miles.

I love my truck. I bought it used in 2012 with 99,000 on it for $18k. Now, 160k later and 12 years, it looks, feels, and performs like always. Has anyone else had a similar issue and their Tundra suffered no ill effects?

Honestly, I knew Toyotas were well built, as my Previa mini-van went 345k before selling it. Everyone I know with a Toyota have only good things to say about them. My truck still has the stock windshield and stock shocks. I can't tell any difference between how it rides and my buddies 2017. Why does Toyota build vehicles that last so long when most other manufacturers don't? If I had to buy another truck, it will be a Toyota. But at this rate, barring any unforeseen accidents, or engine failure that might come from this debacle, I should get another 740k out of her.

Lesson learned: After an oil change, check the level and check for leaks. DON'T drive 536 miles only to find out it was almost out of oil!

Toyotoholic and kirkb like this.
  16. Apr 18, 2024 at 4:07 PM
    Bergmen

Bergmen New Member

Member:
    Ukiah, California
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Pearl DC 4X2 SR5
    When I was in grade school while living in Japan in the 1958-1960 time frame (4th and 5th grade), our class was invited to take a tour of the Toyota factory. Even though I was young, it was clear that they were top-notch at building cars. Extremely well organized, perfectly clean assembly lines, everyone wearing white spotless uniforms, it was amazing.

We were seated in a conference room before the tour and given gifts and a presentation by one of the executives. I wish I could find the gift, it was a small model of the ToyoPet, their top of the line car at the time. It was gold colored plated and had red velvet inside (the roof lifted off) and was intended as a jewelry or cuff-link box. This was before Toyota cars were exported to the US (as I recall). This tour (actually took it twice) made a lasting impression on me.

Dan

17. Apr 18, 2024 at 4:19 PM
    Burdturger

Burdturger New Member

Member:
    I change my own oil now but used to go to "quick lubes" with my past vehicle. Realizing anyone, even yourself, could make a mistake in changing oil I personally wouldn't widely say that all oil change shops are bad. I would suggest only getting your oil changed locally to a place you will frequent. Where they will know your name and if anything wrong happens you know where to take it back to. The problem potentially with traveling and getting oil changed is that they know its highly unlikely you will ever come back. So just like in your case they will suggest and upcharge you on things you may not need (i.e. new oil filter housing, new drain plug etc) I'm sorry to see that happened to you and understand you probably had no better choice than get service on your trip. Lesson learned for us all indeed.

BoyHowdy and sixweeds[OP] like this.
  18. Apr 18, 2024 at 4:35 PM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    You might enjoy this thread...

https://www.tundras.com/threads/brief-history-of-toyota-motor-co-and-museum.46865/

BoyHowdy likes this.
  19. Apr 18, 2024 at 6:04 PM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    Do you know for a fact if they swapped the plastic housing guts meaning the bypass valve to the new housing? That compression spring is a critical component and allows for oil to flow properly. If you aren't certain, I suggest correcting it in the near future. As for excessive engine wear, very likely, but also very difficult to prove how much. Good luck!

20. Apr 18, 2024 at 8:37 PM
    Bergmen

Bergmen New Member

Member:
    Ukiah, California
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Pearl DC 4X2 SR5
    Toyotoholic[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Apr 18, 2024 at 9:21 PM
    sixweeds

sixweeds [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trace
    Vehicle:
    Good observation. Yes. I removed the aluminum cap, broke the drain cap free, saw no O-ring. I bought a new filter and replaced the big O-ring and put on the small one on the drain cap. I check that the perforated tube inside the cap that the filter slips over. It, and the spring were in place correctly. I put on a new filter, tightened the oil filter cap and drain plug, as well as the pan drain plug, and added new oil. This week I'm going to drain the oil and replace the filter again just for good measure. Thanks!

Toyotoholic and 2mchfun[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top